Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Last Supper

"And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended all these words, he said to his disciples You know that after two days shall be the pasch: and the Son of man shall be delivered up to be crucified." Mathew 26:1-2

The Scriptural Rosary has highlighted verses of Scripture for me that enlightened my understanding of many things.

The 4th Luminous mystery: The Institution of the Eucharist

"And he said to them: With desire I have desired to eat this pasch with you, before I suffer. " Luke 22:15


He desired with desire to eat with them, before he suffered. This is the translation from the Duoay Rheims bible.
Jesus wanted to eat with these men, to celebrate the deliverance from Egypt, to feast with them. Why would this matter to God, who knows us as his creation and will enjoy eternity with us in heaven?

I believe this was the humanity of Our Lord. He loved the Apostles as his friends:

"I will not now call you servants: for the servant knows not what his lord does. But I have called you friends because all things, whatsoever I have heard of my Father, I have made known to you." John 15:15

To think the apostles had a friendship with Jesus like we have with our own companions and  it seems that John was treated as Jesus' little brother, for John refers to himself as the "beloved apostle".

How wonderful it must have been for Jesus to feast with his friends and then to give them his gift of himself: the Eucharist.

No comments:

Post a Comment